Sunday, December 13, 2009

Finally time to blog...



Finally time to blog... Let me just start by saying, Thank you Emily for the wonderful pictures! You are amazing! Everyone check out her website! emilylesher.com


So it has been a totally crazy past 3 weeks. Not only because we had a baby but also because he got sick. Don't worry, all is well now! I think that the best way to post all of what has happened is by topics...

39 Weeks. Nov. 17, 6:30am. On our way to the hospital.

The Labor: So Matt and I went to the doctor on Monday Nov.16 for our 39 week appointment. Ok so I was so so done being pregnant and for the past 2 weeks we had been doing everything we could to start something but nothing, no contractions, no nothing. So we were fully anticipating that at this appointment our doc would say that I was not dilated and that we would need to wait... Well we were happy to hear that I was dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced. After hearing that good news I said as a joke "Oh great, so we can induce say, tomorrow?" And so our surprise or doc said "Sure." So she called the hospital and we were scheduled for the next day at 6:30am. We were pretty freaked out! So of course we went home and cleaned the apartment, did laundry, dishes, even hit up walmart, and were up all night with anxiety.
6:30 roles around and we went to the hospital. We had the coolest room it was huge! we loved Orem Community! everything about it was great, especially the nurses, fabulous! So the nurse came in and got the IV all hooked up, checked to see where we were at and to our surprise I was dilated to a 4 and 90% effaced, so we were totally on our way. The nurse said that she wanted to start the patossin (sp?) Well I did not like that because I did not want to feel a thing, so I talked her into letting me get the epidural first. Matt was just laughing. The anticipation of the epidural really freaked me out and when I get nervous my teeth chatter and when i get really scared my whole body shakes. So I was shaking and chattering while the guy was giving me the epidural and Matt was just trying to hold me steady. Once I was all drugged up the doctor decided to just let us sleep, so Matt and I slept for 5 hours! It felt so good to sleep and relax!

At about 2:30 I had not made any real progress cause the patossin (sp?) just slowed me down. So the doc broke my water and then we went back to sleep. Well I woke up at 3:30 with horrible contractions, that i could feel!! What? I was not supposed to feel anything! Matt was so good and right there by my side...laughing at me because who knows what degree of the contractions I was actually feeling because I still had epidural in me but you would have thought I was dying! It hurt so so bad! But the reason the contractions were so bad is because I dilated to a 10. Yay! So the nurse came in and was checking me and said "Oh wow 5 centimeters in an hour, your next baby is just going to slide right out." and all I was thinking is "Yeah right not until I can have an epidural!"

So at this point I was completely dilated and ready to go... Well the doc came in and said that I have a low pelvis and that she wanted me to "rest and descend" for 2 hours and see if Dex would work his way down a little further and that they would have me try to push but that they would probably still have to use forceps. Cool. We were not so excited about that. But when the nurses came in and had me practice pushing and when I asked how I did they said "Mmm not so good." We figured we would need them for sure. So we just hung out "resting and descending." By this time i had the guy coming in every half hour to give me a booster to the epidural, that little button doesnt always work.
At 5:50 all the doctors and nurses came in and got us all ready to finally deliver. They totally transform your room into a delivery room, they crank up your bed to basically eye level, while your legs are completely in the air. All the sudden there are like 20 people in the room. The respiratory doc came in and he was wearing jeans and a t shirt and I was all "who is this guy, please say a doctor because my croch is completely on display here." Matt was so great! He was right by my side the whole time!

So I had Matt on one side holding my hand and my doctor on the other side holding one leg and a nurse on the other side holding my other leg and the forceps doc just pulling away, telling me that i need to spread my legs more... I dont think that Matt was planning on watching the whole thing but considering my knees were at my ears and he was by my head, he got a front row seat, he actually said that it was pretty cool to watch. After pushing, forceps, and a level 4 apisiotomie, Dexter Matthew Hanson was born at 6:03. When he first came out he looked pretty funny. His hair looked black and curly and his lips were huge! Matt and I both looked at each other and said "who's baby is that" But he was SO cute! Dex weighed in at 8lbs 11oz and 21 1/2 inches long! Matt and I were pretty shocked at how big he was. My doc looked at me and said " I had know idea that there was a baby that big inside of you" All the nurses agreed. I was just so glad that we were a week early!!

I would say that having the baby is the easy part. It is the recovery after that sucked! After he was born, they handed him to me to nurse and I looked down at him and basically passed out. When i woke up, I felt so sick! I was so nauseous so the nurse had to give me a shot for that so I wouldnt throw up the pain pills, which means they had to wait to give me the pain pills. So everyone cleared out, Matt went with Dex to get a bath and I was asleep waiting for the nausea to go away. Well when I woke up, the epidural was all worn off and I had no pain pills! AH, it hurt, it hurt, so so bad! I didnt know what to do, I was all alone and my body was shaking so bad from all the hurt. So I called Matt to see if they were almost done and by the time he answered i was totally crying and he is all "Call the nurse" So She came in with the drugs that took way to long to kick in, but they were amazing! Then not to long after that they come in and make you stand up and go to the bathroom to get somewhat cleaned up, well that opened up new realms of pain. After all is said and done, he is here and he is so much fun! (Well other then the whole sick part) Matt is so cute with him and such a great dad! I couldnt ask for a better husband! Or Better little family!


9 comments:

Caitlin said...

Yay! It was fun to read your story. It's such an ordeal, isn't it? It's a wonder that anyone does this more than once :) I'm so glad that he's here and you're all happy and healthy. He's precious. Congrats again!

aubrey said...

congratulations pretty lady! i wish we could all be behind the sushi bar hearing that story in real life but blogging is good to! :) he is a DOLL. and you're gonna be SUCH a good mom.

Evaly said...

It was nice to hear the whole story, but I was cringing at the level 4 episiotomy! OUCH! Glad he is here and we are excited to meet him.

Tammy and Tyler said...

ok so I dont think that I want to have any kids!!!!! jk

Brittany and Bronson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany and Bronson said...

Labor pains like this freak me out, not looking forward to March that's for sure. I am glad everything is going a lot better for you guys!!!

kim&ryan said...

Hello you need to post about the sickness part so I can just direct people to your blog!

Hanson Family said...

Congratulations!! He is so cute.

The Rod's said...

Yes it IS worse after you have the baby that's when the pain comes! The birth is the easy party. He is so cute, Congrats on little Dex.